When searching for child care it’s best to begin by identifying your child’s needs as well as your family’s needs. Begin by asking yourself a few questions.
Think about your child’s needs
- What is the temperament of my child?
- What kind of environment will help my child thrive?
- If you have a schoolage child, what are her/his interests?
- Does my child have any special needs that should be considered?
Now, focus on your family’s needs
- Should I return to work or stay home? Use this Decision Making Tool
- How much care do I need? What days and hours?
- Does location of care play a key role in our decision? Do I want a child care facility close to my home or close to my work?
- What are our family’s budget considerations for care? Use this budgeting tool to examine how child care will impact your monthly budget.
- What is the typical cost of care in my county?
- What types of financial resources may be available to help our family afford child care?
For more information about child care in your county, check out these county-specific child care fact sheets.
- Tax Credits
- Child Care Services Association's Scholarship Program
- Departments of Social/Human Services - Child Care Subsidy Assistance
- Head Start and Early Head Start
- NC Pre-K (formerly known as More at Four)
- Child Care Program Discounts, Scholarships and Sliding Fee Scales
- Employer Assistance/Flexible Spending Accounts