To ensure you have a good comparison, visit a minimum of three child care programs, spending at least one hour at each site. Use the checklist below as a guide in comparing programs. If you can answer yes to most or all of the questions on the checklist, then your child will have a greater chance of having a successful child care experience.
Also be sure to speak with other parents whose children are enrolled in the child care program. Some questions you might want to ask parents:
- Does your child like going to this program?
- What do you like most about this program?
- What do you like least about this program?
- Does the provider keep you well informed about your child’s development? How?
- Is the provider dependable and reliable?
- Does the provider make you and your child feel comfortable in the program? How?
- If you had to find child care again, would your child still be enrolled in this program?
Then visit the programs again (without an appointment) and observe at a different time of day. If there is no room available in your top choice, get on the waiting list as soon as possible.