This week is Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) Week! You can learn more about CACFP here.
Keeping children healthy involves more than just nutritious meals and exercising. Involve your children in the kitchen, let them pick out the produce at the grocery store and active play with them!
While most fruits and vegetables are available year-round, taking advantage of local foods in season maximizes nutrition and always taste best. With this Summer Squash Salad from our spoonFULL kitchens, you can take advantage of the variety of squashes available throughout the summer months and experiment to find your favorites.
Summer Squash Salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion or 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2/3 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper or to taste
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp dried basil or a few leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup diced pimento, drained
- 2 pounds diced yellow and/or zucchini squash (about 4 cups)
- Combine all dressing ingredients well. Toss with squash and pimentos.
- Marinate overnight for best flavor.