It’s Week of the Young Child and today is Tasty Tuesday!
Created by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), the purpose of the Week of the Young Child is to focus public attention on the needs of young children and their families and to recognize the early childhood programs and services that meet those needs.
This fun, food-themed day is about more than just cheese and crackers. Cooking together connects math with literacy skills, science, and more. With the rise in childhood obesity, you can encourage healthy nutrition and fitness habits at home and in the classroom. Create your own healthy snacks and share the recipes and photos of your creations on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram using the #WOYC22 hashtag.
Celebrate Tasty Tuesday with CCSA’s spoonFULL‘s Senior Manager, Bernard Spangler, by watching him cook this easy and delicious chicken fried rice recipe from our kitchen (recipe follows). Then, try it out with your child at home!
Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- Scramble and cook eggs and chop. Set aside.
- Cook rice and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, cook onion, pepper, garlic, and black pepper in oil until soft.
- Add water and soy sauce. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Mix in cooked chicken and heat slowly.
- Heat up carrots, peas, and green beans separately, then add to chicken mixture along with rice and cooked eggs.
- Heat and stir until hot. Serve and enjoy!
Want to try other recipes from our spoonFULL kitchens? Check them out!
NAEYC has additional resources on their website of more ideas on healthy food creations and activities.