From April 13 to 17, 2020, CCSA will be celebrating Week of the Young Child (WOYC), a fun-filled week celebrating young children and their families with hands-on, collaborative activities encouraging movement and healthy lifestyles through music, food and art. Learn more here.
Make learning at home just as fun and educational as in the classroom. Below are fun and engaging activities to do with your children based on each day’s theme.
To start off Week of the Young Child, Durham PreK brings you musical ideas this Music Monday, such as:
- create a dancing playlist,
- grab everyday home items that can be used as musical instruments and form a band with your family, or
- create homemade musical instruments for your family band!
This Tasty Tuesday, cook at home with your child a recipe right out of CCSA’s Meal Services kitchen. Strawberries are about to be in season. Try this cherry berry basil smoothie that’s full of vitamin C and easy to make!
- Blend ½ cup frozen cherries, ½ cup fresh or frozen strawberries, ½ cup coconut milk, ½ peeled banana and 4 basil leaves until fully combined. Serve and enjoy!
- Have any extra smoothie mixture? Put them in popsicle molds for a cool snack after a hot day of playing outside.
- Here are more fun recipes perfect for children from the Food Network.
Work Together Wednesday
- by getting a head start on a homemade card for Mother’s Day,
- finding new ways to reuse your leftover dyed Easter eggs, or
- singing the clean-up song as you clean together.
- Finger paint what your child sees outside their window
- Make a macaroni necklace
- Create a family of frogs by painting rocks from outside
Family Friday is a day to do something together as a family, such as: